~~~~~~Randy Pausch~~~~~~

The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough.

Consistent practice equals consistent progress.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dead Last Finish is greater than Did Not Finish which greatly trumps Did Not Start.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Measuring Weight Loss while avoiding the Device of Doom

Any one who knows me is fully aware of my feelings on scales. For those who don't know me let me explain....

Scales are evil, lying, deceptive and evil devices whose sole purpose is to undermine anyones attempt at being healthy. (Did I say evil twice?)

So, as you can imagine, I seldom get on one. So instead of stepping on the Device of Doom I will be taking my measurements monthly. The trick to using measurements as a tool for measuring weight loss is to do it the same every time and to understand that if you are doing weight building exercises you might see a temporary increase in your measurements in the beginning.

I found a good guideline for measurements on About.com.
  • Bust: Measure around the chest right at the nipple line, but don't pull the tape too tight.
  • Chest: Measure just under your bust
  • Waist: Measure a half-inch above your belly button or at the smallest part of your waist
  • Hips: Place tape measure around the biggest part of your hips
  • Thighs: Measure around the biggest part of each thigh
  • Calves: Measure around the largest part of each calf
  • Upper arm: Measure around the largest part of each arm above the elbow
  • Forearm: Measure around the largest part of the arm below the elbow.

No comments: