~~~~~~Randy Pausch~~~~~~

The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough.

Consistent practice equals consistent progress.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dead Last Finish is greater than Did Not Finish which greatly trumps Did Not Start.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

C25K and other Musings

Originally posted 2 - 4 - 08

I have come to the realization that a runner I am not! However, I will be one! LOL Dammit!

I started C25K Week 1 and it totally killed me. Partially because I have never run before and partially because I have this yet undiagnosed chest thing (probably asthma). So instead of quitting (which I probably would have done last year) I have decided to do two "warm-up" weeks prior to starting C25K Week 1 again. So I will do two weeks of very short run intervals and work up to the 60 second intervals in Week 1. Right now I am doing what I call "C25K Week -1" where I am running 30 seconds and walking 2 minutes and repeating for 20 minutes. I do that for one more day and then start "C25K Week 0" where I will run 30 seconds, walk 90 seconds, run 45 seconds, walk 90 seconds, repeat for 20 minutes.

I decided to pull out my Weight Watchers stuff again. This time around is a bit more difficult. Since I can't have dairy anymore all of the good low point stand bys are out of the question. For instance, there are a number of 1 point breads out there but I can't eat them because they all have whey in them. The only store bought hamburger buns I can eat are 3 points each. I considered Core but since I eat almost no meat I find the no pasta, no cracker, no bread rule a bit confining. So I am sticking with points but I am not being militant about them. That may come back to bite me but I would rather make healthy choices than low point ones.

So now for my February goals...

C25K
Ideally: I would like to finish Week 2.
Realistically: I will finish week 1.

Push-ups
Ideally: I would like to be able to do 10 real push ups in proper form.
Realistically: I will do 5 real push ups in proper form.

Biking
Ideally: I would like to see the boys and I go biking three times a week.
Realistically: The boys and I will schedule one day a week to bike and follow through with it.

Medically
There is no ideal goal here. These will get done.
I will see the Podiatrist and find out exactly what is wrong with my feet.
I will see the Pulmonologist and find out what is wrong with my lungs!

So there they are. Feel free to call me on any one (or three) of them!!

No comments: