For dinner tonight I made portabella pizzas. They were awesome. We have a hard time getting nitrate free/uncured peperoni around here so we often use uncured bacon as a pizza topping.
1 pizza crust, prepared for toppings
1 jar pizza sauce
1 lb uncured bacon (I think the packages are actually 12oz.)
1 lb mozzarella cheese
3 large portabella caps
1. Cut bacon into small pieces with scissors and cook in skillet until crispy. Drain off all but 1 Tbsp bacon fat and move bacon bits to a bowl.
2. With a spoon, scrap the gills from the portabella caps. Fry the caps, top side down first, in the bacon fat for 2 - 3 minutes. Flip the caps over and fry for another 2 - 3 minutes. Turn burner off and flip caps one more time.
3. Spread pizza sauce on the pizza crust and on top of each cap.
4. Sprinkle bacon all over the pizza crust and on each mushroom cap.
5. Top everything with cheese and place in the oven to melt and brown cheese. (I left my mushrooms in the skillet and there was enough residual heat to melt the cheese sufficiently.)
So the boys got their pizza and so did I, but mine was virtually carb free!!