~~~~~~Randy Pausch~~~~~~

The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough.

Consistent practice equals consistent progress.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dead Last Finish is greater than Did Not Finish which greatly trumps Did Not Start.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday, June 13, 2008

Peanut Butter Coconut Candies

1/2 cup Peanut Butter
1/2 cup Coconut Oil (room temp)
1 Tablespoon Dark Cocoa Powder
1 Tablespoon Splenda
2/3 cup Large Unsweentened Coconut Flakes
1/3 cup Slice Almonds
1/3 cup Hemp Seeds

Mix all together and spread into a small (7 X10ish, but any size should work) pyrex dish that has been buttered or sprayed with Pam.

Place in freezer until hardened and cut into blocks.

Notes:
  1. First, they didn't come out of the pan in blocks. Of course I will admit to not letting them fully set up! A layer of parchment paper in the bottom would probably solve that problem.
  2. Next time I will used a finer coconut. I really like the large flakes but they don't cut very pretty.
  3. I will probably try spooning these into silicon muffin cups or silicone ice cube trays next time. Should be perfect for portion control and hopefully will release better.
  4. I will either cut down on the cocoa powder or increase the Splenda. I didn't really want this to be a super sweet candy but the cocoa is a bit too bitter. I may leave the cocoa powder out entirely. Also a little vanilla might be nice.
  5. If you keep your nuts in the freezer like I do, you will find that the coconut oil hardens up before you can finish mixing things up. So I popped it in the microwave for 10 seconds. It was perfect to soften the oil.
  6. One last thought I had is that with the addition of some heavy cream these may be fudge like. I haven't tested that theory though.

No comments: